The scheme offers funding to early career postdoctoral researchers to conduct collaborative research in Japan, collaborating with leading research groups in Japanese universities and institutions, mentored by a Japanese host.
The British Academy acts as an overseas nominating authority for this scheme, which is entirely funded by the JSPS (Japan Society for the Promotion of Science). In this capacity, the British Academy nominates a specified number of candidates each year.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Aims
The program aims to assist early career researchers in advancing their own research while contributing to the advancement of research both in Japan and internationally.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Eligibility
Applicants must –
- Be ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands.
- Hold a doctorate degree at the commencement of the Fellowship, received within six years before the award or expected to receive the degree before the Fellowship starts.
- Have pre-arranged a research plan with a Japanese host researcher employed at a Japanese university or research institution.
- Submit applications in a timely manner, prior to the intended start of the research, as awards will not be granted retrospectively.
For detailed eligibility criteria, consult the scheme notes and frequently asked questions.
Candidates from all fields within the humanities and social sciences are eligible to apply.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship Amount
The awards are granted for a duration of 12 to 24 months. JSPS provides the following support:
- A round-trip air ticket for the Fellow.
- A monthly maintenance stipend of ¥362,000.
- A settling-in allowance of ¥200,000.
- A research grant (‘Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research’) for cooperative research-related expenses, applied for by the Japanese host researcher through their host institution.
JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship 2023 Application Process
Applications must be submitted online using the British Academy’s grants application system, Flexi-Grant.
Application deadline, reference/Head of Department statement, and current UK institution application approval deadline: Wednesday, 14th December 2022 (17:00 UK time).
For more information and to apply, visit the British Academy’s official website.