Under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, the SMILE Scholarship Scheme for Transgender Persons 2022 is a government-run scholarship program for transgender students from Class 9 to the postgraduate level.
Through this scheme, dropouts are reduced and students are assisted in transitioning from elementary to secondary school. The candidates will receive Rs 13,500 once in an academic year as a post-matric/pre-matric scholarship.
To be eligible, an applicant must –
- A citizen of India
- Be a regular full-time student studying from Class 9 to postgraduate level in a Government School or a School recognized by the Government or a Central/State Board of Secondary Education
- Pre-Matric/Post-Matric scholarships provided by the Central or State Governments are not eligible
- An award of Rs 13,500 will be made to the candidates once in an academic year as a post-matric/pre-matric scholarship.
Note: Candidates may accept free lodging or grants from the State Government or any other source for the purchase of books, equipment, or for meeting lodging and board expenses in addition to the scholarship amount paid under this scheme.
- A passport-size photograph of the student that has been self-attested
- An attested copy of your Aadhaar card
- The transfer certificate (if the student has migrated to another school)
- A school, college, or institute verification form that has been attested
- Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment transgender identity certificate issued through the National Portal
- Parents/guardians certify that their ward is not receiving any other scholarship from the Centre/State Government for education
- Certificate of previous academic year’s marksheet attested by the institute
How can you apply?
Eligible students can apply for the scholarship using the below-mentioned steps –
- Copy this URL “https://www.buddy4study.com/scholarship/smile-scholarship-scheme-for-transgenders” and open
- Click ‘Register Here’ and enter valid information in the ‘Registration’ form.
- On the dashboard, click ‘Scholarship’ and check your eligibility.
- Choose the scholarship category for which the applicant wishes to apply.
- Next, select the educational level and click on ‘Get your Application Number.
- The applicant will be redirected to the master application form after receiving the application number.
- Complete the form, upload the relevant documents, and submit it.
Note – For detailed information, kindly refer to ‘Application User Manual.
- Application Deadline – 31st August 2022
- In the past academic year, applicants were selected based on their total marks.
- For those with the same merit, preference will be given based on the ‘Date of Birth’ criteria (seniors are preferred) and slots available.
- Pre-Matric Scholarships will be given preference over Post-Matric Scholarships.
Terms and Conditions:
- Those pursuing their studies through correspondence courses are also eligible. (Note – The term correspondence includes distant and continuing education recognized by the Ministry of Education or State Government.)
- A scholarship may be suspended or revoked if a student violates school discipline or other terms and conditions.
- Scholarships obtained by false statements will be revoked forthwith and the amount already paid will be recovered by the Ministry with penal interest. Upon blacklisting, the student will be barred from receiving scholarships in any scheme for the rest of his or her life.
- The student is liable to refund the scholarship amount in case of discontinuation of studies.
- Whenever a student migrates from one school to another, he or she must submit a certificate from a competent authority.
- For the second (or subsequent) year, a student who has to repeat a class will not be eligible for a scholarship.
- Candidates who have passed one stage of education or are studying in the same stage of education in a different subject, such as B.Com after B.A. or M.A in one subject after M.A in other subjects will not be eligible. However, students pursuing L.L.B/B.Ed/B.El.Ed. after passing B.A./B.Sc./B.E. etc. are eligible under the scholarships for students (Postgraduate) under this scheme.
- Applicants who don’t receive the scholarship for a particular academic year for which they applied will be prioritized for the succeeding academic year in the next financial cycle based on the submission of the application form and mark sheet.
- The scheme covers all postgraduate degrees recognized by the UGC/AICTE.