Scholarships serve as vital means of support for students, especially those who excel academically but face financial challenges. They can significantly influence a student’s educational and career trajectory by granting access to top-notch faculty and industry experts.
Scholarships are particularly valuable for those with aspirations to study abroad, offering crucial financial assistance at various academic levels, including primary, undergraduate, and postgraduate education. Scholarships can be broadly categorized as fully funded, covering all educational expenses, or partially funded, covering only a portion. Here, we present a compilation of scholarships that school and college students can pursue.
Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students
The Ministry of Education (MoE) has opened applications for the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students, part of the ‘Pradhan Mantri Uchchatar Shiksha Protsahan Yojna (PM USP CSSS) 2023.’ Prospective applicants can find detailed information on this scholarship by visiting the official website of the National Scholarship Portal (NSP) at scholarships.gov.in.
Number of Scholarships Offered
Under this scheme, scholarships are bestowed by the Ministry of Education, Government of India, based on the results of the Higher Secondary / Class XII Board Examination. Each year, a maximum of 82,000 fresh scholarships are awarded to students pursuing graduate or postgraduate degrees in colleges, universities, and professional courses, such as Medical and Engineering programs.
Central Sector Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
To be eligible for the Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Academic Performance: Students must have scored above the 80th percentile among successful candidates in the relevant stream from their respective Board of Examination in Class XII of the 10+2 pattern or its equivalent.
- Course Type: Applicants must be pursuing regular degree courses, and distance or correspondence courses are not eligible. Additionally, diploma courses are not covered under this scholarship.
- Institution Recognition: Students should be enrolled in colleges or institutions recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education and the relevant Regulatory Bodies.
- No Concurrent Scholarships: Applicants should not be availing benefits from any other scholarship schemes, including state-run scholarship programs and fee waiver and reimbursement schemes.
- Income Eligibility: Students with a gross parental or family income of up to Rs. 4.5 lakh per annum are eligible for this scholarship. Fresh applicants are required to provide an income certificate as proof.
- Change of Institution: Students who wish to change their college or institute of study will be allowed to continue or renew the scholarship provided that the course of study and institution have a valid AISHE Code, which can be verified on the portal.
These scholarships not only alleviate financial burdens but also empower students to pursue their academic aspirations and shape their future careers. The Central Sector Scheme of Scholarship for College and University Students is a valuable opportunity for those who meet the eligibility criteria to access quality education.